Surface Pro (5th Gen) and WinTab

Hi,

I just recently purchased Pro Motion NG and installed it on a Surface Pro (5th Gen), but when I go to the Tablet/Pen tab under Preferences, the tablet device is not detected at all and I am unable to make use of any tablet related features. I have already tried updating Windows to the latest version and installing WinTab (and restarting the system after installing it). I also tested to see if WinTab is working properly through another application (CLIP STUDIO PAINT EX) by switching the tablet device from Windows Ink to WinTab, and aside from losing pen tilt in my stylus it seems to be otherwise functioning properly.

I searched the forums already for similar issues but the closest related thread seems to have resolved itself without a clear answer as to how.

Is there any other way to get my Surface Pro to work with PMNG?

Thanks,
–Noel

Hi @NoelShourai ,

I’m afraid that Microsoft does not support the “WinTab” interface anymore which is the only one that is yet supported by PM. WinTab was a standard for many years and still is but Microsoft created a different interface called “Windows Ink”. I plan to support that with some future version, but there is no ETA.

You could try to install the WinTab driver that MS still offers for Surface 4:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49498
(open the details box and you will find wintab zip files).
Maybe they also work for Surface 5. Can’t say if there is a risk to install them on Surface 5.

-Jan

Hi again,

Those are the WinTab drivers I used. They work properly in other programs that support WinTab, just not PM.

–Noel

Hi @NoelShourai ,

did you install 32 Bit or 64Bit wintab drivers? PM would need 32Bit.

-Jan

I uninstalled my current WinTab drivers and installed the 32 bit drivers just now, PM still does not pick it up.

–Noel

Do you find this file on your system?
c:\Windows\SysWOW64\Wintab32.dll

Hi again,

Yes, Wintab32.dll is in c:\Windows\SysWOW64.

–Noel

Having a similar issue with my Dell Inspiron 2 in 1, I presume this is related to the issue with Windows Ink?

@roblevy101: I think so.

@NoelShourai : Would it be possible that I send you some test patch to log more information about what’s happen internally? If so, please write to jan@cosmigo.com

I also have a windows ink 2 : 1 tablet pc ( hp spectre x360 ), and just installed c:\Windows\SysWOW64\Wintab32.dll, now the sensitivity works great for me, thanks!!