Additional tile types

I would like to suggest additional tile formats for the tile editor:

1. Hexagonal tiles (of different sizes)
  2. Isometric tiles (which can overlap which can happen for walls, trees, etc.)
  3. Isometric hexagonal tiles (combination of the two above)
2 Likes

Not sure how easy the last two are to implement but i subscribe to the Hexagonal tile suggestion.

Iā€™d love to see support for overlapping tile geometries too, but it does pose a bit of a problem for the editing interface.
You could no longer just freely paint as a screen pixel could have multiple tiles overlapping it.
Need some way to resolve which tile an edit applies to.
Easiest way I can think of would be to mark a specific tile as the current editing target, then limit all edits to that tile, though not the nicest workflow.

For me the ideal solution for supporting non-rectangular tile grids would be:

• Rectangular tile bounds
  • Tile grid step vectors (one 2D vector per grid axis, ideally three so support 3D tile maps such as UFO: Enemy Unknown, Transport Tycoon, Ultima VII, etc.)
  • Tile origin offset relative to tile bounds
  • Tile centroid offset for mouse picking (default to bounds centroid, needs to be manual for uneven bounds fringe, eg. iso with more overlap above)
  • Axis draw order and direction (so tiles overlap as desired)
  • Quadrilateral grids can use axis step vectors for grid line drawing, hexagonal requires a special case though
  • Could have presets/wizard to hide the complexity from less technical users

Would then support any axonometric projection of quadrilateral and hexagonal grids.

1 Like