Hey all I’ve been doing some long 60-200+ frame animation work the last few months and Im losing a lot of time to very repetitive actions - wanted to post to see if anyone has any tips to help mitigate a few gripes ive run into:
1) easiest way of duplicating an animated segment at a offset of (x) frames?
2) fastest way of painting edits on an anim layer across (x) frames?
3) anyway to use the move tool on a selection of (x) frames on an anim layer instead of moving the whole layer to fix mistakes/make edits?
Use cases below:
1 - in mechanical style anims i often have to loop a specific animation like the ore spiraling down this corkscrew
I cant just duplicate the layer because (afaik) i have no way to ‘push’ the new layers animation down the timeline for the required delay
so i split the ore onto its own layer and use the anim brush to slowly paint in the 60 ish frames. I cant perform this quickly because if i click within 1 second to paint after changing frames, my input gets ignored/eaten (as of V18.104.22.168, not sure if this is a bug) but the anim brush still cycles to the next frame, so i have to wait 1 second per frame before clicking and carefully check i havent missed any.
Or else i am condemned to click 100+ times to cycle through my anim brush on longer anims to get back to the frame i missed, same if i accidentally twitch my mouse and misplace it by 1 pixel
- I make a lot of small mistakes/misplacements that I dont see until im over 100 frames in, or even just come up with new ideas and improvements that i want to implement across many frames. (Asset swapping the ore type in this image for example, or changing my mind about the shape of the rock)
I always have to copy and paste with the brush tool on every individual frame slowly (same anim brush input issue as above) on non-static moving parts of the animation as i can’t edit multiple frames at once
- same as above for mistakes and improvements, but sometimes i just need to change the position of a part of my animations over multiple frames without editing the actual shape of what im moving. Just fishing for any workarounds instead of having to manually delete all frame data for that array of frames for that layer, then slowly repainting it.
Being able to select an area to edit on all frames (applying an erase, brush or movement operation on a specific area or even just THAT layer on (x) frames) would cut my work time by at least 3 quarters, probably more.
Thank you very much for anyone who’s read this far, apologies if I’ve missed any obvious solutions! I searched through the program docs as best i could and came up short
Thanks for the software in general too, i love the brush tool, its a super speedy part of my workflow