Base16 Schemes: 107 New PM Palettes

Hi everyone,

I’m glad to announce that I’ve added 107 new color schemes to Pro Motion Assets project:

These palettes were taken from the Base16 color schemes, a well known collection of color schemes for syntax highlighting and editors themes, created by Chris Kempson:

I’ve just created a small application to programmatically convert every base16 scheme from the original YAML format to a .pal binary file.

Although the Base16 schemes were designed with syntax highlighting in mind, they might turn out to be good starting palettes for Pixel Art too, especially for logos and cover art. The colors of the schemes have been carefully chosen by their authors to work well together. Some Base16 schemes have become very popular and widely used, so using their colors could add familiarity to any art work.

Needless to say, this project is an experiment with color schemes in Pixel Art.

Enjoy!

PS: @Jan, I’m really impressed by massive changes that came with the last PM NG 7.2 update, not only tons of fixes but also many new features. The list is so long that it took me half hour just to read it through the changelog. Superb work! thanks.

1 Like

Great! I totally missed this post. Is it possible with git hub to offer a link that lets the user download this specific folder as a zip based on github tool set?

It used to be possible using @KinoLien’s GitZip, in the past:

but the new GitHub API requires tokens, which makes it no longer a viable solution (it still works, but not as a direct link).

Right now, RawGit is shutting down, which is a huge think for it’s been the most used service to deliver GitHub assets in the past. It’s now being replaced by some new services:

But I haven’t had a change to look into them in detail. Most likely, we’ll need to create a Zip archive first somewhere. I’m not sure you can add one to a GitHub repository (without storing it in the actual repository contents) without creating a release.

I’ll look into the new GitHub API and the above mentioned services and let you know. As the number of assets start to grow we’ll need to find a way to deliver them by direct link downloads (possibly, without having to store Zip archives in the repo).

In the worst case scenario, I could just add a script to auto-generate a Zip archive for each assets, and store them somewhere in the docs/ folder, so they get served via GitHub pages. It adds a bit of contents redundancy, and usually version controlling binaries is not a great idea, but their size isn’t going to be huge anyhow, and the nature of the repository might justify it (not unlike having PDF files, after all).