Extend layer name character limit

I know this is probably a rare case, and possibly nitpicky? But can we extend the character limit for layer names? Or just remove that limit entirely?

^ in this screenshot, I couldn’t type “shadow” anymore. :sweat_smile: So i have to condense my layer naming.

I tend to have long layer names when:

• I’ll be having a gajillion layers.
  • there are duplicates w/ some modification
    e.g.
    • training-icon
    • training-icon-cast shadow
    • training-icon-selection
    • training-icon-selection-cast shadow
    • training-icon-outline
    • training-icon-outline-cast shadow

I just got surprised when i was trying to be articulate with my layer names that there was actually a character limit.

Anyone got any tips for efficiently naming their layers?

ok, the 50 chars limit is quite small. Will use 100 with v7.3

Oh, cool. Thanks Jan!

hey Cage it’s great that Jan@cosmigo is going to extend the limit to 100 characters but until that try this. Sometime removing vowels and going all phonetic works. Sometimes you won’t remove the vowels it’s a case by case basis for example icon/icn shadow/shdo. Also Jan@cosmigo I was wondering when you hover over a layer on the layer pallete could it display the full layer name in the lower lefthand corner? The beauty of this is the full name would only be displayed if it didn’t fit on the layer pallete.Shorter names that already fit would not be displayed there. The lower left hand corner seems like it is already reserved for info anyway… just a thought.
hope that helps

1 Like