Gradient saving

I really wish gradients that i make were saved with the palette or as gradient reference file with all of them. unless i’m doing something stupid, it seems if i define 20-30 gradients for a project (which is normal for the way i’ve come to work), the only way to reuse them is by having a template file rather than being able to load them with the palette. but supposedly i switch pallette mid-project or use more than one, i have to make every single one again, which is conceptual torture :smiley:

1 Like

Understood. Should be simple to include. Added to my list, but can’t say when it will be done. Let’s see :wink:

2 Likes

thank you for considering this!!!

I was about to ask if this existed somewhere.
But yeah, I keep on creating the same gradient.
I wish there was a way to load and add in a gradient or a gradient set.

Yep! This would help smooth out my workflow as well.

Looks like you’re already halfway there too, since project presets (*.cfg) store gradient info already -

I use a large global palette and when I start a new project file, I have to define the same 25 gradients all over again, or make a copy of an existing project file and delete everything in it in order to start fresh.
I like to name my gradients too, and each time I need to redefine them I have to also name them again. Quite repetitive.
Without all gradients being set up I can’t use Multi Shade mode, so I have get them set up somehow.

Project Presets

Even if I have a nice project preset set up, but I want to update my gradients in use in all my project files, then I still need to update them all manually, AND my project preset as well.
But if I could do my gradients edits only once, and save out a file which I could then use to replace all my other projects’ gradients, that’d ideal.

I don’t think gradient presets should be tied to a palette or even contain color information - just a light-weight list of groups of indices should work well (like in my first image).
If when you save a palette file (*.pal) your current gradients were also saved with it, then loading that palette file would also replace your current gradients - not good. And vice versa - you may want to load only gradients and not replace your palette.
If Pro Motion gradient presets become a feature, and user loads a gradients file but it wasn’t made with the palette currently loaded for the project then the gradients would most likely be useless and this is fine. Let the user worry about loading the right gradients file.

Current Gradient Manager shouldn’t need to fundamentally change much in order to accommodate saving/loading gradient presets. Looks like 3 new buttons may be needed:

Save - Save a snapshot of all gradients in the Gradient panel as an external file.
Load - Path to a gradient file and add the gradients in it to the bottom of the Gradient panel.
Replace - Path to a gradient file and replace all gradients in the Gradient panel.

In clonclusion:

2 Likes

Yeah Gradients are one of greatest features of PMNG, they should be atleast saving and loading with palettes