Help on export colors

is anyone kind enough to explain to me why what i export color wise looks different in gimp and system previous in color values than on pro_motion (on mac with wine). I only have the system colorprofile applied in general and exports look the same both in gimp and system previews, so the file is specific in itself, just different to what i see while working. both indexed gif and true color targa exports behave similarly. could it be a wine issue? or is it smth about indexed color handling that i do not know?

thx for any response

It sounds a problem related to color profiles, indeed.

PM doesn’t support color profiles, which could be a reason why the image looks different in different programs.

Also, you need to consider various factors, e.g. if the image format you’re saving in supports color profiles or not — because this might affect apps that do support color profiles.

could it be a wine issue?

You need to check if wine does support color profiles or not — if not, this could be an added layer of complication, but only in relation to other image apps you run via Wine.

Also, are you using a color calibrator to correct the profile of your monitor?

The problem with color profiles is that it’s always an entangled issue — for it envolves the images format, the application, the OS and the calibrator and monitor.

thank you for your response. What baffles me is that in all apps including the system browser previews, exports look the same, and also all image formats respond the same way, so it’s like if PM is singularly bypassing everything somehow, :slight_smile: oh well, thy shall color correct 'till thy last breath :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

thank you for your response. What baffles me is that in all apps including the system browser previews, exports look the same, and also all image formats respond the same way, so it’s like if PM is singularly bypassing everything somehow,

Then chances are that this is due to Wine, because most browsers are known to NOT SUPPORT color profiles, so if colors are the same across all apps except PMNG it looks like it’s due to Wine bypassing the Win OS driver that should handle basic color profiles (especially since most image formats used in pixel art don’t support color profiles either — e.g. PNG).

I carried out a quick search on the www, and found many questions about this topic around, especially for apps that are known to manage color profiles but fail to do so under Wine. In one of the most recent posts I’ve come across, it seems like this is fixable in Wine in various ways:

I also came across other solutions which involved Windows Registry settings, copying over to Wine custom profile settings (especially if you have a monitor calibration hardware tool), or recompiling Wine with different settings.

Thank you very much, this certainly clears things up!!! be well!!!

@iliasboufidis: Did this work for you? If so I’ll add that as an additional information to the Mac download pages. I’m sorry that there is no native version of PM for the Mac but running it as a spare time project makes a port currently impossible :frowning:

it just prompted me to try n fix up my main pc ASAP (which is broken and i’m on an old osx laptop). if i was you i’d do a query with the people at Wine see what they have to say.

@iliasboufidis, you should use this image to understand if an application supports color profiles:

Its color profile is tweaked so that blue and red are actually swapped on any app that doesn’t supports color profiles, so if you see the “blue” text in blue than you’ll know that you’re seeing the image through an app that DOES support color profiles, like Photoshop:

While in PMNG you should see it like this:

This should help you understand if Wine is supporting color profiles or not — try to open it with an app that you know supports color profiles, and if you see “blue” as “blue” than the problem is Wine.

For example, Internet Explorer 11 and Chrome should visualize the colors as expected.

1 Like

thank you very much, i fixed my pc and things are seemingly ok so far, so i’ll just keep this as reference :slight_smile: thank you again :slight_smile: