How to create an animation from a sprite sheet

I have a 32x640px “.png” sprite sheet (vertical sprite sheet), and I would like to create an animation using 32 frames from the sprite sheet (therefore frames’ size = 32x20px).

What is the best way to do this 32-frame animation in PM, please ?

Caveat: This might not be the best way.

I’m not sure how others would do it, but if it was me, off the top of my head:

1. Widen the canvas by a full width of the sprite.
    ** Take note of the Reposition position, my suggestion for your sprite sheet: left/right center.
  2. I would enable lock grid, on it’s settings, the size of the grid would be the max width and height of the sprite.
  3. Turn the sprite sheet layer into image.
  4. Use the brush tool, set Layers to Merge as Visible layers
  5. Create a new layer to draw on.
  6. While on the new layer, with the brush tool,
  • copy the first instance of the animation, draw/paste it on a spot
  • create a new empty frame, copy the succeeding instance, paste it on the same spot.
  • rinse/repeat until end of animation.

** Additionally, if i want a separate file for the animation,
a. I’ll create an animbrush of the animation i just made.
** Hold Alt while selecting with the brush.
** Be aware of your animbrush settings, specifically for this instance: Frames to grab
b. Then, with the animbrush of the animation selected: Create from Brush
SS:
1 -
2 -
3 -
4 -

5 -
6 -
Basically, normal usage of the brush tool and frame manipulation. So i don’t think an SS is needed. But i’ll give an SS of my kb shortcut for 3 of the basic frame manipulation tools:

Hope it helps some !

1 Like

The simplest way I can think of is:

Go to File/Load Animation and select the PNG. Because it’s an image file you will be asked how to transform it into an animation project. In that dialog you can then either give the frame size (32x20) or the columns/rows (1x32). After that it will cut the image into frames.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your replies! :slight_smile:

Here are some more feedback about this issue (which is now fixed, thanks to your replies) :

1. when I searched for the answer in PM’s help (“sprite sheet” topic) or on Google, I found the following page: Documentation | cosmigo

In this page, one finds the following sentence “As soon as you open a BMP/PNG file as AnimStrip file and the frame rows/columns information can’t be found then the following dialog appears…” (with the screenshot I was looking for :wink: ), but it doesn’t tell about the command : "File / Load Animation / " actually. (because the sentence’s “opening a BMP/PNG file” seemed to tell “File / Load Image…” for me)

1. I also went to the “Animation / Create Animation…” menu in PM. But it wasn’t what I was looking for. I don’t know, but maybe something like “File / Load Animation” could also find its way in the “Animation / …” menu. (because when trying to watch an animation inside PM, going to the “Animation” menu seems logical)
    1. I missed the “File / Load Animation” menu because I haven’t created the “.png” file, and for me it was “just” a “.png” image, and not an animation yet. My bad!!! Inside PM, I was trying to create an animation based on the “.png” image, while it was already more than just an image: it was already the animation! I will remember :wink:

Thank you for your help!