Layer picker (behind color picker)

One thing that would be nice is to have a layer picker icon below the color picker. The only thing the user would have to do is hold down the mouse button on the color picker and the layer picker would appear so you could select it.

Please hit Shift+T to activate layer selection tool.

1 Like

I do understand how that would work, however I also think it would be good to have an icon to do the same function. For those who like icons.

The difficulty is here that different people would like to see different icons which would sum up to have everything as an icon. But I have a task in my list that should solve this problem some day by allowing the user to set this up individually.

Wow.
I didn’t know such an option exists.
I heavily use shortcuts and this option can speed up the flow.

Thank you both for bumping this feature up.

1 Like

Put this thing on the toolbar! So noobz can find it.

^ For anyone that doesn’t know about it, find it in your Keyboard Shortcuts dialogue by searching ‘pick layer’. Set whatever keystroke you want.

I REALLY wish I’d know about this tool a long time ago. I now use it constantly and can’t imagine not having it.
But it’s buried in the program and there’s no indication it exists until you accidentally press SHIFT+T and the cursor turns into two oblique rectangles representing layer icons.

For users that deal with lots of layers this tool is MASSIVE. It saves so much time and frustration.

I highly recommend putting it on the main toolbar, probably under the pick color tool button like Mori says, definitely not grouped with it, though. I’d let it occupy its own spot on the toolbar. I wouldn’t put it in the Layer Panel either - it’s definitely worthy as a primary tool.

1 Like

I know this has been settled, but i promise you this is justified and is under the topic title.

In ‘Preferences’ > ‘Mouse Buttons’ these fields:

Can’t accept the “Shift” key.
It’s one of my reasons why ‘Ctrl’ and ‘Alt’ are only found here.
I wish to be able to use the layer picker default shortcut: ‘Shift + T’ in the ‘Without modifier key’ input field.
So all i have to do is press middle click to be able to change layers.

So you want to be able to click ONCE with no prior key press and select a layer, bypassing even selecting the Pick Layer tool first. Just one middle mouse click at any time. Seems simple but I bet PMNG isn’t set up to handle it.

Hmmm, I think what I’ll do is just set my Pick Layer tool to ‘Q’ instead of ‘Shift+T’ so it’s only one key, and an easy to find/press key, too.
I’m usually using a stylus and my left hand is always hovering over the left side of my keyboard so this seems pretty ideal for me.
And fortunately the Pick Layer tool one of those tools in PMNG that automatically switches back to your currently selected tool after you use it. Press Q > click/tap to select layer > keep working.

@jan.cosmigo Oh there is one thing that could definitely be improved though - when we select the Pick Layer tool and the current layer is hidden, we don’t get the Pick Layer cursor - just the circle-with-a-slash-line cursor instead. This means we don’t get any feedback once we’ve activated it, yet can still click and change layers (cursor hotspot is right in the center of the circle so you just have to be careful and hope you click accurately).

I know Pick Layer isn’t really a tool, but I think of it like one, same as the Color Picker I guess - one picks a color, the other picks a layer.

@cageburner: problem understood. This is a bug I think. Will fix this.

@mathias: cursor problem understood as well. Should be gone with 7.3