Live performance recording of a brush stroke

I was wondering if we had something like this already but i couldn’t find it.

The suggestion is basically - draw on different frames on the canvas while the animation playback is playing.
So we can capture the energy of the animators’ stroke in real time, relative to the currently set speed/delay.

Come to think of it… This could be a great combo with AnimBrushes! And a surplus feature for pen tablet users.

Idea is directly… *cough inspired *cough by this youtube vid.

Hi Cage, What you are describing is known as Anmipainting, and yes PMNG has it. In fact it’s been around since the Amiga days. If I am correct you set alt to preform animpainting in the tool and settings/control settings and you hold down alt while you draw.

Hi Morintari, thanks for the input. NGL, i had to review what Animpainting is again and watch the relevant tutorials. Unfortunately, Animpainting isn’t what i’m looking for.

Animpainting is placing an animation we already drew previously.

• So we draw the animation proper first, grab it to store as a brush.
  • And then: Place that animation (stored in an animbrush) in a scene. (Animpainting)
  • We also have to draw on the canvas while the animation playback is paused/stopped.

In this feature request:

• We’re able to draw on each frame while the animation playback is playing.
  • So wherever the cursor is while the LMB is down in a frame while playback is playing, that’s where something is drawn.
  • We can later on grab this and store it as a brush

Application:

• This’ll be useful for animating particle and smear fx.
  • Also for placeholding a rough outline of more complicated animations.
  • It can also be something like a shortcut to forego keyframes. But then again, would work great with keyframing, i imagine.
  • It’s like rotoscoping our stroke on the canvas.

Right now, if i try to draw while the animation playback is playing, It will only draw on a single frame.

However, if i missed something and we can actually do this now with animpainting or some other feature PMNG has, please lemme know. :slight_smile:

NVM. You’re right, Animpainting is what i’m looking for. Thanks! I made more tests and it’s actually doing the job.

Preserving my (embarrassing) previous post for posterity.

Couple of things i wish we had with Animpainting:

• I wish there was a way for the playback not to loop the frames while animpainting.
  • Also, this could be a different mode, maybe? For PMNG to automatically create more frames while we’re animpainting.
    • Current workaround is to copy paste all the frames that overlapped while drawing, then erase the unnecessary parts.
  • An ability to set how fast the frame is moved while Animpainting.

Cage I really like the suggestion to add more frames while animnipainting to keep the animation from looping maybe like a checkbox on the tools and paint palate.This is a good suggestion. You should suggest it to Jan. I also like the suggestion on adjusting the painting speed that would be very helpful. We’ll have fun drawing
Sincerely,
Morintari