NEO GEO FIX & Sprite plugins

Hello,

For those who are interested in NEOGEO gfx, I quickly developed 2 plugins to export to NEOGEO FIX, SPRite and PALette files.

Files are available here:
http://zorglub29.free.fr/neogeo/

I’m Interested to know if there are any bugs found or features that would be nice to have.

Cheers
Zorglub

1 Like

The NEOGEO arcade system has been discontinued in 1997, I’m not quite sure how many users on this forum will have one of those arcade cabinets sitting in their lounge (or bedroom).

Are you testing in on real NEOGEO hardware or via some emulator?

Pro motion NG also saves iff & lbm images so you never know, there might be a few retro compting fans around here…

The tests are first done via an emulator, it is quicker (and cheaper).

1 Like

Hi @zorglub29 ,

thanks for contributing! I will add a link to your plugins on my web site and the Neo Geo docs section. Maybe it makes sense to post them to Neo Geo forums as well. Plugins also work with the Free Edition of Pro Motion.

-Jan

1 Like

hi,

Thanks !
Yep, I also posted the info on neogeo forums.

Cheers
Yves

Speaking of which … the available-plugins website page is currently the only official source where Pro Motion users can find links to third party plug-ins (and, as of today, is still providing links only to the Zoom and Rotate and Color Balance plug-ins).

At the risk of overstating a point I’ve been pushing for ages, I’d like to stress that the Pro Motion user base would greatly benefit from an official assets reference which is open to contributions (unlike the website page, which can only be edited by you).

Sure, we have this forum, but it can be hardly considered up to the task — forums are tool intended for threaded discussion at specific points in time.

The customary way of maintaining assets lists in the developers’ world nowadays is to create a repository on GitHub, which users can contribute updated to via Git — in this case, a simple Markdown document would do the task.

Many commercial software companies today have an official GitHub organization account to host repositories for third party resources links, community editable documentation (and internationalization) as well as for tracking bugs reports and features requests.

Failing an official point of reference, the fallback solution is that third parties might create independent resources (e.g. an “Awesome Pro Motion NG” repositories); but in my view indy repositories tend to get less visibility than officially sanctioned solutions, at the risk of being diluted (especially when there are multiple such initiatives, spreading thin community efforts).

It would be nice if community created assets could gain more visibility via an officially sanctioned list, whereas today they tend to get buried in the forum’s history (we don’t even have tags to filter down contents by topics).

Any links?

If you could add some reference links to the Neo Geo system, and the various places where your plug-in is being discussed, it would make this announcement more accessible to those who are new to Neo Geo (but might wish to discover more about it).