Support for C64 image file types

Just thought about another improvement.

Because it’s already possible to draw C64 multi color images, it would be cool to support these file formats too.
So it would be possible to draw images directly for C64 demos, games or whatever :wink:.

Maybe the source code of Pixcen can help with various formats (Koala Painter, Advanced Art Studio 2 etc.) https://github.com/Hammarberg/pixcen

Best regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,

yes, you are right. I just did not find the time. Thanks for the lib hint. Will have a look at it. Are you a programmer, too?

-Jan

Hi Jan,

:wink:
yes I’m a programmer too, but not C(++) related.
I’m a web developer using PHP, JavaScript and all this stuff.
I started my interest in programming in the early 90s when I got my Commodore C64, played some games and wanted to do this stuff also :wink:.
I didn’t made it to good or complete games (first tries in Borland Pascal 7, hehe) but I enjoy at least to try it.

One “game” or much more a puzzle which I created was especially developed for the Geocaching scavenger hunt. There you have to search for an amount of treasure to reveal the coordinates for the Cache in the real world.
It’s called “Cachania” (http://cachania.de) and was my first HTML5 game.

Now I want to create my own graphics for a next game so I bought PM yesterday and will try to get my hands into it.
Also the tutorial videos of Agnes Heyer (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUfQURFJlu2EkDxDgkG1O7g/feed) who’s using PM whetted my appetite for your software.

• Christian

Hi Christian,

for the sake of public communication I stick with English though I know you are German just like me :slight_smile:
I also started programming on the C64 in 1989/90. There are some games around from me, but nothing special. Mostly “remakes” or usual stuff.

Cachania looks promising. Cute graphics :slight_smile:

What a pitty that you don’t program C/C++. I would have asked you to create C64 file i/o plugins. It’s not a lot of work. Just a couple of hours but I don’t have them atm. Would even pay for it :slight_smile:

-Jan

Hi @Ravetracer,

Because it’s already possible to draw C64 multi color images, it would be cool to support these file formats too. So it would be possible to draw images directly for C64 demos, games or whatever

I agree, it would be cool indeed. Adding support for these formats via custom plugins shouldn’t be difficult as most of these images formats are quite simple in their implementation.

I can give it a go and try to sketch up a quick plugin to support a C64 file format, but the main problem here is the sheer number and variety of image formats that were out in the wild for the C64, often using custom file extensions (if any). You only have to look at this page to realize how many of them there are:

So the main issue here would be to pinpoint which are the most interesting image formats that should be supported, and which file extension associate to them.

Could you help me pinpoint which file formats are more interesting in the above list?

Although I programmed for years with the C64 (and at the time I knew its kernel inside out by heart), today I can’t recall much from those years, all memories I’ve faded. But I’d love to explore the C64 era again, via modern tools and emulators.

There’s plenty of documentation available for the specs of the actual file formats:

yes I’m a programmer too, but not C(++) related. I’m a web developer using PHP, JavaScript and all this stuff.

There are many libraries and tools to support C64 images, in various programming languages:

But to create a PM plugin you’ll need a language that can compile to DLL, so PHP and JS can’t really help here. You could look into FreeBASIC:

It’s free and open source, very easy to learn, and can compile DLLs, and even bind to C libraries and use inline Assembly code. It’s more then enough to create a file I/O plugin.