Tile library: user-defined width, multiple selection

Hi! :blush:

Suggestion 1: have a user-defined width (a fixed amount of columns, in other words) that isnā€™t dependent of the tile library window size.

Suggestion 2: have the ability to select several adjacent tiles by holding shift and left clicking (and ctrl click to remove)

These two suggested features would help greatly when it comes to arrange neatly big elements that use several tiles.

Suggestion 3: export tileset/image from tile library. Once suggestion 1 is implemented, this seems like the next logical step.

Cheers! :herb:

Hi,

thanks for your input.

Suggestion 2 is planned along with other improvements currently in the make :slight_smile:
The tile library window functions are somewhat, uhm, strange :slight_smile:

As for suggestion 1 & 3ā€¦ Is your aim to have aligned objects in the library window that are made up of different tiles?
Generally the library window is (at its current stage) only there to arrange tiles not tile objects. I suggest to use a separate layer, frame or project that contains the objects you want to use. The best thing in my opinion is to have a separate project which is connected to a main project (level map). See Tile Mapping/Settingsā€¦ to connect projects that use the same tile library. So you can quickly pick up a multi tile object in this separate project (that could use a couple of frames to have objects grouped) and place them in your level map.

Or did I get the intention wrong?

Cheers,
Jan

1 Like

If i understand correctly, yes, this was my initial aim.

Yup, this was the big chunk of knowledge I was lacking. thanks!

Could you explain this or point to some documentation?

here is a screenshot of my current ā€œexperimentā€

I think this has become more of a help thread since my suggestions were just proof of my noobiness :slight_smile: , and glad to hear suggestion 2 will be implemented, though I think the current workaround in my case would be using the ā€œget brush from rectangular selectionā€ tool.

Cheers

Indeed, picking up an object as a brush and placing it somewhere is one of the main workflow elements, no matter if you create images, animations or tile sets.
Thatā€™s why creating connected tile map projects is a way of having a project with all the desired objects and other projects for the real maps.
With tile map projects every frame of a project is a tile map. Every layer is a tile map. Which tile map is an actual level map and which one is used for other purposes like object container or even meta maps like platforms or repeating level map portions is just a matter of organization.
So you could create a frame (in a separate but connected project) that contains plants. Another frame could contain elements that you can pick up (fruits, starsā€¦) and another frame could contain elements then do harm to the player etcā€¦ Important is that they are all connected via the tile mapping settings so that the same tile library is used (if required).

See here for some more general information:
https://www.cosmigo.com/promotion/docs/onlinehelp/tileMappingPrimer.htm
(just saw that the images there are not up to date although the latest versions are uploaded :frowning: )

1 Like

One more thing. The docs at https://www.cosmigo.com/promotion/docs/onlinehelp/tileMappingPrimer.htm where outdated. I updated the files in a wrong way. Now the most recent version of this tile mapping primer is visible, so please check again.

1 Like