Wacom Pen and Eraser - Keyboard Shortcut?

Hello,

is there a keyboard shortcut for the eraser?

I’m using a wacom tablet… and it seems the only way to erase pixels is to either turn the pen and use the eraser end of the pen or to use the right mouse button… but it would be way faster to have a actual keyboard shortcut to temporary activate the eraser while using the pen…

the documentation says " Almost all shortcuts can be modified in the preferences" … but I cant seem to find any keyboard config in the preference window… :-/

thanks…

Hi Layer1, welcome to the forum.

I also have a Wacom (Intuos 5). I don’t know how to set the preferences you mention in PM NG, but you could always set the wacom tablet so that one of the rubber buttons changes the pen behavior to be like the rubber — it should be possible if this happens to coincide with a keystroke modifier that would allow the pen to behave like the eraser in PM NG.

Personally, I just use the pen rubber to do that. Setting up my Wacom tablet took me some time (and then I’ve lost and restored the settings various times in a row). So, any useful tips on how to use a Wacom with PM are most welcome!

Hi tajmone,

thanks for your response…
the problem is I don’t see how to set any of the express keys to eraser without having an actual keyboard shortcut for this function… :-/

ah… but you are right… the eraser function from the pen’s end can be assigned to the pen’s button… yeah… so that works…

thanks… :slight_smile:

Hi @Layer1,

also please find “p” to make your pen tip use the second color (which can be the transparent color to erase).
Hold “p” and draw with your pen tip.

-Jan

@jan.cosmigo, a problem that I frequently come across with in respect to keyboard shortcuts presented in the documentation is that these might differ under different locales of Windows. E.g., some documented keys seem to be tied to a German keyboard (possibly because you have Windows in German?) while other differ on my OS because it’s in Italian.

Ideally, all keys should be documented (and pre-set) according to a US-Keyboard, and then users can customize them according to their locale. Even better if PMNG could provide different settings depending on the OS locale AND keyboard found.

I even recently discovered that there are keyboards having no “Alt Gr”. With the next release I plan to do a little rework of some shortcuts, mostly because of adding the standard selection tool set (selection tools, rotate, scale, transform…). The keys typically used for these tools are occupied today and I have to free them. With this I should also be able to de-germanify some other keys or at least check them with US keyboard layouts.

Really? I thought that would be a “universal” key. This keyboards differences is a big issue, often impacting programming and writing. Take Markdown, which is supposed to be a human friendly syntax — except for keyboards that don’t have back-tick and tilde, which require typing a lot of alt codes (if you’re lucky enough to work on a desktop PC, for laptops and note books often don’t have numeric pads, requiring further use of special mode-keys).

When I tried to dig into this issue I was amazed of how little information there is on differences in keyboards across locales. I guess that the US-centric model is simply assumed to be THE model in “all things computers”.

For example the keyboards used in Asia (South Korea) don’t seem to have Alt Gr :roll_eyes:
But also some different layouts trouble me, e.g. where keys like [ or ] are located. English keyboards have them to be accessed directly on German keyboards it’s finger sports with Alt G + 8 / 9.
This makes definition of shortcuts more complicated.

I’m not from S.Korea, but my KB doesn’t have Alt Gr.
I have no idea what it is. Never seen one anywhere my entire life.
But my KB does have Alt. Don’t know if that’s the same or not.

Basically Alt Gr is a separate key that does the same like Ctrl + Alt. On (e.g.) German keyboards you can have three elements on a key:
9 = 9
Shift + 9 = )
Alt Gr + 9 = ]

1 Like

Keyboards layout are a mess (and we’re only speaking of Qwuerty here, which is not the only layout, with Dvorak being another famous example).

Personally, I like when applications expose the full key-shortcuts mapping to the end user, allowing full override as well as creating new shortcuts, possibly showing the default settings in a specific colour, and the user custom or override in another one, so it’s clear at first sight what was overridden and what wasn’t.

Some applications let you select the shortcut you want to create and let you press the keys combinations, register it and then show the pressed sequence in the registered settings (eg. Ctr+Shift+F!).

This approach usually allows only single-combinations of keystrokes, whereas applications that expose user configuration via settings files (INI, JSON, YAML, etc.) sometimes allow more complex combinations (e.g. Ctrl+K followed by Ctrl+W).

As an example of the latter, Sublime Text uses a JSON variant for keybinding settings:

[
    // TOGGLE WORD WRAP :: Ctrl + K Ctrl + W   :: View > Word Wrap
    { "keys": ["ctrl+k","ctrl+w"], "command": "toggle_setting", "args": { "setting": "word_wrap" } },
]

Definitely, keybindings are an important feature in an app like PMNG, not only because of the keyboards differences across locales, but also because each user will ultimately use different common features of the app, and he/she might be used to previous keybinding from other apps and might want to reuse them for familiarity sake.

Another thing is that I rely on the API that is given to me by the development system I use along with ui controls it provides to edit shortcuts. This control is used in the keyboard shortcut preferences and it has some flaws because it does not allow all combinations that are technically possible :roll_eyes:
Multi key combinations (comibantion 1 + combination 2 = function) are planned.

I know what you mean, I’ve worked with a language that offered shortcuts via the UI API and compromised to a common baseline for cross platform compatibility.

In theory, it should be possible to hook directly to the WinAPI and use the native shortcuts system, but probably it’s not worth it, unless the limitations are a serious impediment (which, hopefully are not so).

Excellent! This should really improve things, allowing to use key combinations commonly available on all keyboards to cover all needs. After all, just being able to combine two keys offer an exponential increase of available shortcuts.